Saturday, November 26, 2011

Add a "T" to the Word "PAIN"

Twelve months ago we ventured into an agreement for some people to come over to add some space to our house. We signed away our savings and did our best to prepare for the structural and emotional mess that would invade our lives.

According to the contract, the project would be complete in early June. Due to inclement weather and a few missteps and work order changes, it took much longer.  Not to mention we agreed to do some of the finish work to save money. Last fall, we imagined weekends filled with "spare time"and we forgot about our inability to burst into a Home Depot before noon on a Saturday.  Home improvement fatigue hit us hard, and we could not seem to get rolling on the painting.

Wall Color: Behr Chocolate Froth, Trim: Swiss Coffee
In August my husband traveled to Canada to visit with some of his luthier friends.  I took that as an opportunity to tackle the interior painting. As much as I love my husband, I do not like painting with him. One of his strengths is that he is a detail-oriented person, however that does not always work in my favor when it comes to getting a room painted.  I can purchase the paint, prep the room and get two coats on the walls and ceiling in a day - unless he "helps" me. My impatience and his methodical nature are not a healthy combination when painting. 

New Dining Room - Walls: Chocolate Froth Trim: Swiss Coffee 
Dining Room Light
As for the exterior painting, the pride in "doing it ourselves" fell to the fear of ruining our house. We still have several years to go before paying off our mortgage, and since we have NEVER painted an exterior brick surface before in our lives, we hesitated before slapping special rubberized elastomeric paint on an investment that will takes us over a decade to pay for.

Ed's Office - Stained Doors to Match Floor

We had planned to paint the exterior brick in   September.  We were told not to paint the new brick until it had plenty of time to dry out, otherwise the moisture in the masonry will cause the paint to peel.  In fact we were told wait 3-4 months after the new brick was installed before painting it.

Powerwashed Pig Sidewalk Art
By the end of September, we had power-washed the house, pruned the hedges, and decided on a color. Between volleyball tournaments and my role as Cub Scout Popcorn Kernel, there was no time left for painting. On my way to work, I noticed a sign posted in the front lawn of our neighbor's house.  I called "Complete Painting" and spoke to Craig. Within a few hours he gave us a quote to match the Iron Gray siding and paint the brick and tuckpoint our chimney. His crew could get started in a few days. His rates were incredibly reasonable, and I felt an overwhelming relief.


We still need to paint the front door and the columns, but I wanted to share the results.


Iron Gray Hardie Board. We extended the front garden wall

Back Patio Area

No comments:

Post a Comment